Critical Reflection on "Skills on Wheels"

I have completed both "Handle Face-to-Face Interview" as well as " Present Effectively" modules on Skills on Wheels with a close to perfect score. It is important to know how to handle face-to-face interviews in this competitive and robust industry.  In addition, to be in line with my first blog post about how I would like to improve on my writing and presentation skills, I have chosen "Present Effectively" to end off my CPD II Journey.

Module 1: Handle Face-to-Face Interview

The module on Handle Face-to-Face Interview has equipped me with the skills to prepare for a formal interview with my IWSP company.  Before attending CPD and skills on wheels portal, I always believe that having research on the company and job scope is enough to prepare for the interview session. However, after going through the iSimulation programme, I have picked up specific theories on why is it also important to research on the industry as well. This is to anticipate any questions that will be asked in the session on the relevant industry knowledge. 

Module 2: Present Effectively

The module on Present Effectively has equipped me with how our presentation should focus on the audience instead of the product itself. In addition, apart from skills on wheels, CPD II has also taught me the importance of greeting the audience professionally to show professionalism, and to be able to engage the audience throughout the presentation. 

After the session on skills on wheels, I have attained some acronyms to aid in my presentation skills. 

Firstly, Audience Profiling's A.I.R.
  • A - What the audience ALREADY know?
  • I - What is the audience INTERESTED in? 
  • R - What is the audience RESISTANT to? 
Secondly, Presentation Message Development C.A.R. 
  • C - What are the CHALLENGES?
  • A - What ACTIONS to undertake? 
  • R - What RESULTS do you want?
These are the interesting acronyms that are identified and yet easy to remember to aid in my presentation skills in the future.  

Evaluation of Learning Experience and Application

I have accessed the Skills on Wheels portal through my laptop (on the web version) and did not download the application on my phone. This is due to the convenient access to the website as compared to downloading a new application on the phone. 

The Webpage is easy to navigate around with all the clear headers and tabs. The portal also enables me to view different contents and assessment to make sure that I understand the topics. However, some of the tabs I have clicked on, such as module assessment, are unable to load the pictures and contents as shown below. 



Furthermore, the "next" button in the video for i-simulation is quite disruptive, as it paused the video abruptly after each segment as well. However, all in all, I have enjoyed navigating the website, discovering new ways of learning and gaining new knowledge that is easy to acquire.  

Comments

  1. Thank you, Carolyn, fo this very detailed reveiw of the SoW modules and the SoW website itself. I'm happy to hear that , despite the accessing issues, you feel like doing the nuggets was a worthwhile learning experience.

    As always, I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caroyln

    Although I did not write about the same modules as you, I have tried out all the modules available. I believe that these modules provides tips and necessary notes to consider when going for interviews and presenting. I also seem to face the same issue as you with regards to our accessibility to load the images. I believe that even though faced with that issue, we really learned a lot.

    Thank you for reading this comment.

    Warmest Regards
    Jeaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carolyn,

    Thank you for sharing! Similarly, I have done Present Effectively. However, our takeaways are different where my focused was on the A.B.C and W.E.B framework. Your post refreshed my memory on these two acronyms that I can practice during the future presentation. I am happy for you that you have picked up useful skills through Skills on Wheels and CPD II.

    Hope to see you around in school!

    Regards,
    Xenia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self Reflection: Interpersonal Communication Issue in a Workplace

Welcome to my Blog!

Service Recovery: REACT Technique